Futures for Frontliners
Futures for Frontliners offers Michiganders who worked in essential industries during the April 1-June 30 period but do not have a college degree free tuition to their local community college to pursue an associate degree or a skills certificate on a full-time or part-time basis while they continue to work. Those without a high school diploma or equivalency are eligible for services to help them prepare for and complete this credential and go on to a community college or job training program.
Frontliners returning to or starting community college, or seeking their high school diploma or equivalency, may start classes anytime in 2021 and as early as the winter semester beginning January 2021. Frontliners can pursue up to an associate degree or skills certificate at their local community college tuition-free. Frontliners can prepare for and attain a high school diploma or equivalency, potentially prior to enrollment in post-secondary education or training, or while dual enrolled.
The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2020.
How to Apply
- Apply for the Futures for Frontliners Scholarship.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- If you have taken classes at MCC within the past 12 months, register for 2021 spring semester courses; spring 2021 registration opens on Oct. 5, 2020.
- If it has been one year or longer since you last took class at MCC, please contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (989) 328-1277 to determine your next step before registering for classes.
All essential workers in Michigan without a college degree or high school equivalency who worked at the height of the COVID-19 crisis are eligible to apply for Future for Frontliners.
- Be a Michigan resident
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (ex: GED)
- Have worked in an essential industry at least part-time for 11 of the 13 weeks between April 1 – June 30, 2020.
- Have been required by their job to work outside the home at least some of the time between April 1 – June 30, 2020
- Not have previously earned an associate or bachelor's degree
- Not be in default on a Federal student loan
- Complete a Futures for Frontliners scholarship application by 11:59 pm on December 31, 2020
Eligible workers include:
- Hospital and nursing staff
- Grocery store employee
- Childcare providers serving critical infrastructure workers
- Personal protective equipment manufacturers
- Public safety employees
- Garbage collection workers
- Delivery drivers