Transfer Credits in to MCC


It's easy to transfer your credits to MCC and we accept a variety of previous learning experiences as credit for your degree.

  1. Credits from a previously attended accredited college or university.
  2. Credit for tests which demonstrate your mastery of a subject.
  3. Military credits.
  4. Industry recognized credentials. 


Thinking about transferring credit to MCC but would like more information? Make an appointment with one of MCC's counselors or advisors to assist you today! Email or call 989-328-1264 to schedule an appointment. 

Please note that credits transferred into MCC:

  • Typically take up to two weeks to process and verify. For enrollment purposes, please be aware of this timeline. Our peak time for receiving transcripts to evaluate is August and January, and it may take up to 4 weeks for credits to post on your MCC transcript.
  • Will be posted as transfer credit on your MCC transcript. 
  • Will have a generic grade TR, and do not impact the calculated MCC grade point average. 
  • May be used toward both academic programs (major) and graduation requirements. 

Additionally, you must complete at least 15 credits at MCC, in addition to any program and graduation requirements, to be awarded an associate degree, and 8 credits toward a certificate. 

We evaluate all credits on an official transcript that are received from regionally or nationally accredited institution. A grade of C or better must have been earned for each course, and the official transcript must be received directly from your previous college or university. 

The transfer course must have an equivalent course at MCC. Courses without equivalents may transfer in as elective credit.  Any course with a code below 100 does not transfer toward degree credit requirements.

Students and/or their counselors/advisors may request a Transfer Credit Review if they believe that their credits have transferred in incorrectly.

Reverse Transfer

Reverse transfer allows former students, who have continued their education at other accredited institutions, to transfer classes back to Montcalm Community College to apply toward a degree, certificate or job training credential. You must arrange for an official transcript to be sent to MCC from the other institution you attended with an indication that it is a reverse transfer. Your file will be audited for degree completion, and if requirements for a degree are met with the transferred classes, a degree will be awarded. Contact MCC’s Student Services Department for more information at or (989) 328-1277.

Credit for Tests


Advanced Placement (AP)

Course credit will be granted to students who participate in AP and pass the advanced placement examination with required scores.

Click HERE to view the scores list. 

College-level Examination Program (Clep)

Course credit will be granted to students who participate in CLEP subject examinations and achieve the minimum passing score as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). 

Click HERE to view more information regarding CLEP testing and the minimum passing score.

DANTES subject standardized tests (dssts)

College course credit will be granted to students who participate in the DSSTs and achieve the minimum passing score as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Credit for Military Experience

Veterans can be awarded college credit for the service schools they attended and their work experience while in the U.S. Military. The college awards credit based on recommendations provided by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Competency Testing

Competency testing evaluates the level of student skills in a subject area and based on their performance, they may be able to test out of a basic course and enter a higher level course at the college. 

Click HERE to learn more about Competency Testing at MCC.

Tore Skogseth, Student Success Counselor
Brandy Bunting, Counselor
Lisa Gardner, Advisor