MCC's Writing Center provides assistance to MCC students with writing projects in courses across the curriculum. Our goal is to help students become stronger, more flexible and more independent writers. With that goal in mind, the Writing Center emphasizes the entire writing process, not just “cleaning up” final drafts. Our writing center consultants can help you understand your assignment; generate, develop, and organize your ideas; engage with and document source material; revise and polish your drafts, and more.
Writing Center consultants will not edit students’ papers for them; instead, consultants will work side by side with writers, looking for patterns of error and assisting students in addressing these errors. Although we will not make editing marks or corrections on your writing, we will work to help you become a more capable and confident proofreader/editor of your own written work.
Scheduling a Writing Center Appointment
Writing Center appointments are available in either 30-minute or one-hour lengths of time, and can be scheduled in one of the following ways:
- Sidney campus - Call the MCC Library at (989) 328-1261.
- Greenville campus - Call the information desk at (989) 328-1012.
- Schedule an appointment online through Starfish. To learn how, watch the tutorial video "How to Schedule Using Starfish" (Video).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing for a Writing Center Appointment
We want your needs to determine the direction of your session, so let the writing consultant know your concerns and what you would like to focus on. Be prepared to take an active role in your session, reading and discussing your writing with your consultant. The best sessions are conversations.
For ALL appointments, please have the following items handy:
- assignment directions (and rubric, if applicable)
- ideas, notes, drafts (if you’ve made it that far -- and it's okay if you haven't)
- other relevant materials (books, research articles, etc.)
If your appointment is ONLINE (in Microsoft Teams), please be aware of the following:
- Your consultant will call you in Microsoft Teams a few minutes prior to your appointment start time.
- As much as possible, please find a quiet, distraction-free location for your appointment.
- If you experience audio issues, it may help to disconnect Bluetooth devices from your computer.
PoliciesReview the Writing Center policies for scheduling appointments, student conduct, proof of visits and handling of plagiarized assignments.
2021 creative writing contestMCC's Creative Writing Contest is an opportunity for students to win prizes for writing poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction. The entry deadline is Monday, Nov. 22, 2021.
We appreciate instructors' efforts to encourage their students to visit the Writing Center, and we have several resources available to support your efforts.