Michigan Reconnect provides financial support for adult students at a Michigan community college to earn an associate degree or Pell-eligible skill certificate.
If you are 21 years old or older and don’t have a college degree, you may be eligible to attend Montcalm Community College tuition-free as an in-district student, or at a reduced rate if out of district.
There are two age brackets for the Michigan Reconnect program: ages 21 - 24 (available for a limited time only) and 25+. Please review the eligibility requirements for your age group below.
This program is for a limited time only — don’t miss the deadlines to apply, enroll and work toward your degree while it remains tuition-free! You can use the scholarship to complete an associate degree or a skill certificate program.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Apply and enroll in a community or tribal college no later than fall semester 2024.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Have lived in Michigan since July 1 of the previous calendar year.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or certificate of completion.
- Have not yet completed a college degree.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, Nov. 15, 2024
You can use the scholarship to complete an associate degree or a skill certificate program.
To be eligible, you must:
Be at least 25 years of age.
Have lived in Michigan for a year or more.
Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Have not yet completed a college degree (associate or bachelor’s).
How to Apply
- Apply for the Michigan Reconnect Scholarship.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- If you have taken classes at MCC within the past 12 months, register for the most recent semester classes.
- If it has been one year or longer since you last took class at MCC, please contact the Student Services Department at email@example.com or call (989) 328-1277 to determine your next step before registering for classes.
Reconnect will ensure that when you get your semester bill from the community college, the following items will be free to you:
- In-district tuition* - Free
- Mandatory fees (fees charged to all students per semester or per hour) - Free
- Contact hours (extra charges for certain courses and programs) - Free
If you are a out-of-district student, Reconnect will pay the in-district portion of your tuition but you will have to pay the additional amount charged to out-of-district students. Reconnect is a last-dollar program, which means that any Pell grant funds you receive are applied to your tuition and fees bill first, with Reconnect paying what’s not covered by Pell. If you don’t qualify for a Pell grant, Reconnect will pay the full cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and contact hours.
*When applying to Montcalm Community College, ask us to estimate these costs that are not covered by Reconnect to avoid any surprises when you receive your first bill.